Jul 12, 2008

Review Fest! Part Two!

Alright, after a short break, I'm back to finish off the review fest. Robin, I actually dropped my summer class as I was tired of leaving class everyday feeling like I had learned absolutely nothing. I'm still taking one online but it doesn't have a ton of work so I have some free time. Anyway, I guess back to the reviews.

"Wall-e"
Seen: July 9th, 2008
At: San Mateo Century 12
With: Myself

So I had heard mixed reviews going into this. My parents liked it. Beth had talked to some 6 year olds that didn't like it. I was not real excited going into it. So, not surprisingly, after a long day of watching movies, I fell asleep a couple times in the first half hour or so of the movie. The short before the movie was pretty good, but honestly I can't remember what it was about. Anyway, all in all, while Wall-e was a kind of cute love story between two weird little robots, it had another motive. In actuality, it was a really long public service announcement. I don't mind when movies are political if they're documentaries. But when they're disguised as animated kid's movies I have a problem with it. I also don't mind movies that are philosophical and make you think if it goes along with the movie or serves a purpose in the plot. But that wasn't the point of the philosophy in "Wall-e." I saw this movie as a psa by Pixar to get people to recycle and take care of our planet more. It wasn't very entertaining as a movie and it really just kind of annoyed me. It had some funny or cute parts but all in all, I wasn't real impressed. I enjoyed Pixar's previous efforts a lot more than this one.

"The Love Guru"
Seen: July 9th, 2008
At: Home in my room on my computer via the internet
With: Myself

I wasn't willing to pay money to go see this movie in the theater. It looked pretty dumb from the trailers. And really, it lived up to that expectation. It had some funny parts. It just seems like a round about way for Mike Myers to make a movie that's kind of about hockey since he's Canadian. Jessica Alba still pisses me off for some reason. Despite the fact that he's dating my lady, Justin Timberlake's character is pretty funny. Stephen Colbert and Jim Gaffigan are good as the hockey announcers. For some reason I really enjoyed the musical parts where Myers' character plays covers of songs we all know on the sitar. The story was pretty dumb though. Myers is the Love Guru who is hired by Alba's hockey team to fix their star black hockey play who can no longer play since his wife left him for a rival player (JT) who has a huge junk and is the opposing goalie in the Stanley Cup Finals. Pretty dumb but some funny moments. Wait for the DVD if you really want to see it.

That's it for the review fest. The next couple weeks have some movies I want to see coming out, so I'll have to find some time to go see them. I'll try to be more punctual when posting reviews too, so some of the movies are actually still in theaters when I post them.

No comments: