Feb 22, 2009

Slumdog























"Slumdog Millionaire"
Seen: February 20, 2009
At: San Mateo Century 12
With: Myself

I'd been wanting to see this for a while, but it wasn't playing close to campus so I hadn't gotten a chance. My parents went to Mendocino this weekend and as such I got Friday off of work. So, I finally got a chance to go see Slumdog at 10 Friday morning. First off, seeing the first showing of the day in San Mateo is awesome because it apparently only costs $6. Second, this movie has a great story. I didn't realize going into it that is was really a love story but it is. For those that don't know, the basics of the story are that this kid who is a "slumdog" is one question away from winning India's version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?. He is arrested the night between shows and accused of cheating. Throughout the night we get both the story of his life and the questions he has answered. From his life story we learn how he knew the answers to his questions. It really is a great story. My only issue with it is that I felt that some of the background story during Jamal's childhood dragged on. It gives you a sense of where he's been, but I think it could've been done differently, but then, that's probably why I haven't made an Oscar nominated film, among other reasons. It also bugged me how trusting Jamal was of people, especially his brother Salim and the Millionaire host. Again though, it was part of the story. If I was part of the voting for the Best Picture Oscar, I really wouldn't know how to choose between this film and Milk. My guess though is that Slumdog Millionaire wins the Oscar. If you haven't seen it yet, you should.

No comments: